In memoriam of the scholarly work and political engagement of critical economist Jörg Huffschmid, the award named after him recognizing outstanding works in the field of political economy is currently in its sixth iteration. It aims to encourage young scholars in particular to take up the tradition of critical thought in the spirit of the award’s outstanding namesake.
Jörg Huffschmid, who passed away in December 2009 at the age of 69, combined astute analyses with a critique of capitalism and political reason in his work. As one of the founders of the Arbeitsgruppe Alternative Wirtschaftspolitik, the EuroMemo Group, and a member of the academic advisory boards of attac and the Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, his personal, political, and scholarly life pursued a socially just society, engaged against the supposed absence of alternatives postulated by mainstream economics. Accordingly, the four organizations have issued the award together since 2011.
The award is open to graduating theses at the PhD, Magister, Master, and Diplom levels. Doctoral theses will be awarded with 1,500 euro, others with 500 euro. The work should be related to the field of political economy and deal with, for example, the following topics:
- Financial market instability and measures to regulate financial markets
- Scope for monetary policy in the context of asset price bubbles and intensified currency competition
- Problems of fiscal, trade, and industrial policy
- Labour relations in transnational production networks
- Alternatives to austerity and privatization
- The new imperialism and geopolitical conflicts, militarization and the threat of war
- The political economy of digitalization and platform capitalism
- Issues and approaches of feminist economics and the care economy
- Consequences of the global climate crisis and problems of socio-ecological transformation
- Economic and social consequences of the global COVID-19 pandemic
- Contradictions of European integration and related conflicts concerning migration, the rule of law, and the “Green Deal”
Particularly encouraged are theses that apply an approach combining various disciplines, integrating economics and approaches from social and political science.
We will consider German- and English-language submissions that have been accepted by a European institution of higher education since April 2019. Submissions by members of one of the four organizations and members of the respective academic councils will not be considered. Please submit your complete application, in electronic form only, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 April 2021. Please attach the following:
- Cover letter
- 800-word abstract demonstrating a link to the scholarly work of Jörg Huffschmid
- The work itself
- Academic references provided as part of the graduation process (assessments by supervisors, examiners, etc.)
Members of the jury for the 2021 Jörg Huffschmid Award are:
Heide Gerstenberger, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac, University of Bremen
Arno Gottschalk, Arbeitsgruppe Alternative Wirtschaftspolitik, Member of the Bremen Assembly
Jörg Hafkemeyer, Academic Advisory Board of the Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, Universität der Künste Berlin
Laura Horn, EuroMemo Group, University of Roskilde
Anne Huffschmid, Freie Universität Berlin
Jeremy Leaman, EuroMemo Group, Loughborough University
Birgit Mahnkopf, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac, Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
Thomas Sablowski, Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung
Mechthild Schrooten, Arbeitsgruppe Alternative Wirtschaftspolitik, Hochschule Bremen
Bärbel Rompeltien and Rainer Rilling (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung fellows) serve on the jury in an advisory capacity.
The award ceremony is planned for November 2021 in Bremen.
Contact and further information:
Thomas Sablowski, email@example.com