In memoriam of the scholarly work and political engagement of the critical economist Joerg Huffschmid, the call for the award named after him recognizing outstanding works in the field of Political Economy is currently in its fifth iteration. It aims to encourage young scholars in particular to take up the tradition of critical thought for which the outstanding namesake of the prize stands.
Jörg Huffschmid, who passed away in December 2009 at the age of 69, combined astute analyses with a critique of capitalism and political reason in his work. As one of the founders of the Arbeitsgruppe Alternative Wirtschaftspolitik, the EuroMemo group and a member of the academic advisory board of attac and the Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, his personal, political and scholarly life pursued a socially just society, engaged against the supposed absence of alternatives suggested by mainstream economics. Accordingly, the four organizations have issued the award together since 2011.
The prize is open to graduating theses at the PhD, Magister, Master and Diploma levels. Doctoral theses will be awarded with 1,500 euro, others with 500 euro. The work should be related to the field of Political Economy, and deal with, for example, the following topics:
- finance, fiscal, trade and industrial policy
- alternatives to austerity and privatization
- militarization of European foreign-, border security, and armament policies
- challenges arising from processes of digitalization
- socio-ecological remodelling
- social and technological innovation and new economic systems
- 10 years after the collapse of Lehman Brothers – consequences of the recent financial and economic crisis
- 20 years of the euro – controversies around the European Monetary Union
Particularly encouraged are theses that apply an approach bringing different disciplines together, integrating economics and approaches from social and political science.
We will consider submissions that have been accepted by a European institution of higher education since April 2017 in German or English language. Submissions by members of one of the four organizations and members of the respective academic councils will not be considered. Applications are only accepted in electronic form, to be sent before or at the very latest on 1 April 2019 to the following address: Joerghuffschmidpreis@esosc.eu
Please attach the following:
- Cover letter,
- 800-word abstract demonstrating a link to the scholarly work of Joerg Huffschmid,
- The work itself,
- Academic references provided as part of the graduation process (assessment by the supervisors, examiners …)
Members of the Jury:
- Gerstenberger, Heide, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac, Universität Bremen;
- Hafkemeyer, Jörg, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat der Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, Universität der Künste Berlin;
- Herrmann, Peter, EuroMemo Gruppe, Corvinus University Budapest;
- Huffschmid, Anne, FU-Berlin
- Mahnkopf, Birgit, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac, Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht Berlin
- Ötsch, Silke, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac
- Sablowski, Thomas, Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung
- Sauer, Thomas, Wissenschaftlicher Beirat Attac, Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena;
- Schrooten, Mechthild, Hochschule Bremen,
- consultative: Bärbel Rompeltien and Rainer Rilling(Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung)
The awards ceremony is planned for 18 October 2019 in Berlin.
Contact and further information:
Peter Herrmann, firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive a more or less immediate confirmation of the submission. If you do not receive this after a week, please contact the coordinator.