The Academy for Political Education’s primary task is the promotion and implementation of emancipatory political education geared towards participation, which addresses critical social conflicts in the spirit of democratic socialism. This not only entails a range of methods and the monitoring of educational processes (which undergo continuous reflection, often in group settings), but also the task of consciously designing and fostering a dedicated educational space. We aim to empower those participating in our educational programmes to engage in political action by enhancing their ability to acquire and utilize knowledge.
The Academy offers a variety of courses and as well as consulting and advisory services. It conceptualizes and organizes conferences, workshops, event series and weekend seminars. It also produces educational materials and publications and engages in a wide range of networks and projects within and outside the Stiftung. Political art is also regarded as an integral component of the type of political education promoted by the Academy.
The Academy's fields of activity and tasks include:
- Political communication management and providing the basic building blocks of adult education. The Academy participates in theoretical debates on emancipatory political education, in particular through the “Political Education discussion group”.
- Basic workshops and seminars organized by the Kommunalakademie (Municipal Academy), which also publishes the Crashkurs Kommune series addressing issues of local politics such as participatory budget policy, privatization, <g data-gr-id="43" id="43" class="gr_ gr_43 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling">remunicipalization</g>, and urban policy in metropolitan regions.
- Youth education. The Jugendbildungswerk (Centre for Youth Education) organizes nationwide events supported by the Academy on the basis of promoting projects and organizations connected to the Stiftung’s network. Its work seeks to promote the critique of dominant social relations, explore alternatives, strengthen resistance, and create free spaces.
The areas of social conflict addressed by the Academy include:
Social inequalities and the dimensions of economic and ecological crises, sustainability and regional development, and confronting neo-Nazism and ideologies of inequality. Gender inequality and migration – as causes of inequality in society, politics and everyday life – are interdisciplinary issues. We provide a space to discuss gender equality in areas such as economics and (new forms of) work, the public and private spheres, distribution and participation, and the social acceptance of different lifestyles (body and sexuality). We also participate in discussions around left-wing feminist values. Issues of contemporary history, for example, are tackled with the help of contemporary witnesses and biographical studies. We discuss the processes and consequences of globalized production and reproduction, new international developments and social movements, and participate in social fora at a national, European and international level. In this context, educational materials on European integration were developed in cooperation with our Brussels office. Educational opportunities dealing with the life and work of the Stiftung’s namesake also belong to the Academy’s central tasks.
The equal participation of black people, migrants, and people of colour of all genders in society is one of our guiding principles.
Basic courses offered by the Academy include:
- “Basics of political education”,
- “Capital” reading groups and the annual Marx autumn school,
- Training courses in “Politics, Communication, and Management”,
- Education against right-wing extremism.
The Academy’s political education work is supported and complemented by the Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung’s discussion groups on the topics of “right-wing extremism”, “women and politics”, “sustainability and regional development”, “history for the future”, “political education and migration”, and “rural areas”.
|Direktorin Akademie für Politische Bildung||
Phone: (030) 44310-163
|Referent für Sozialökologischen Umbau / Stellvertretender Direktor Akademie für Politische Bildung||
Phone: (030) 44310-402
Phone: (030) 44310-221